Thursday, April 17, 2014

Emails and Introductions

I'm writing this retroactively on the following day.




Entering into a project in the budget range we are in is big for me.  There are some really exciting ambitions, a cool script and awesome name talent.  It's all there! It's even a small crew of people I like, so it's no problem, yet.  But everything else we do is like a riddle, and that's kind of the inspiration for writing this blog.

I promise that I believe the names and likenesses to actual events as stated before or forever hear-after in this blog are coincidental, and if you believe otherwise I think you're going to have a hell-of-a-time proving your claim! Rest Assured, I'm not after blood, but to share what I think is historic presidents, based solely on my own first hand testimony, as a witness to life and inspiration.

Half the time I don't know if me laughing or getting upset is a prudent reaction to the things going on around me. I'm half away, half a sleep, half medicated or dreaming it all up.  This is the Hollywood I've been searching for, but just because you know it's here doesn't mean we're going to call you back.  *Note, you're fired after you pack the truck at the end of the day, not when you commit a wrong.

But to say it direct, in regards to Romeo's "Model" of filmmaking, It's all just not familiar. But that makes it exciting. New. Humbling. And I admit, I am always learning.

And I'm learning, for whatever reason, this method of film making works.  A safe judgement so far, and having seen zero films of Romeo's start-to-finish in the decade I've been aware of him, I am confident if he is anything, he's a man who knows what he want's and has zero problem articulating that.  Now come along!



At the start of Day One of PreProduction (Before I knew it was preproduction).  I sent an e-mail feeler.  Just wanted to test the waters and I asked for a budget for our expendables. Our shoot date at the time of the e-mail was Apricot 17th, then Apricot 23rd.  Now It's Cinco de Manonaise!

Juliet doesn't care that we need to work other shows around his still, in account that his budgets tend to be decimal, but, as i mentioned, it's working. And The budgets are growing...

On our last shoot, Romeo was our Producer.  Tommy Sterns The Third(TS3), my roommate, was the Director.  From his own pay [TS3] contributed 0.8% of the budget. (I accurately calculated that off the know budget)to expendables.
That same amount he contributed was 10.81% of his own pay for Directing.  TS3 also understands the business the way I do and want's to pay for things needed during production that save time.   (For 6 years that guy has lived A Legendary Life but that's for another time.) It's like that quote.  "You think hiring a Professional is expensive? Hire a novice."

Well naturally that morning, right after I send my email, Tommy Sterns The Third (TS3) starts ruseling about in his room, grumbling back correctional barks, dissaporoving of his puppy Bananabelle acts when she's bored, desperately seeking some stimulation and attention.

Popping out into the living room for the morning, wondering what I'm doing he decides it's a great idea to write his own email, more "Producer" as he put it.  Not sure if he meant anything by that or just wanted to say the word producer because he is a producer on the project?

Anyway, continued on to write an email or something also.  Though, I'm not always sure what I agree to with him because I tend to block his schemes out on a constant basis and keep him fighting for my approval on ideas I do pay attention to...  But I guess I condoned his desire to write a pretty specific email.  Which reading now in retrospect, It all makes sense.


______
EMAIL
_____


Romeo and Juilet,

Reason may have or may not sent in his concerns or questions, but after speaking with him we have a few questions.

1) Are we going to shoot on the ROCKETFIRE R-100 or the VOODOO-MAGIC-CAM?   I believe REASON would prefer to shoot on the ROCKETFIRE R-100.

2)  As far as expendables, what are you looking to spend?   Reason would like a budget specific amount.   I think it would be great to have enough without depleting all the expendables we get in the first week, like previous shows.

3) As far as the crew, Reason and I would like to hire the camera, grip, and lighting departments personal.  How much do we have to spend for the following for an AC, Gaffer, Key Grip, and Electric/Grip Swing?

4) Are we planning to need a genie?

5) Will we be locking down our locations in advance this show, or doing it the same way as the two previous shows with budgets of this size?   If we do lock down our locations, can we do a location scout, so I can help Reason decide what is needed and what is not needed gear and equipment wise.

6) Our start date is the 23rd as of now, correct?  I am sure you will provide a detailed shooting schedule on Friday at the meeting, correct?

We are both looking forward in starting production soon.

With Sincerity,
Tommy Sterns The Third
Insurance Mobile Number 555-555-5555
Multi-Level-Marketing Number 666-666-6666
Film Production Number 777-777-7777



_____
End Email
____

Sounds fair enough, it's the 16th of Apricot after all and the first shoot date at the time of writing that email was the 23rd of Apricot.

The following is the response from Romeo.


_____
Romeo Email Response
_____


No r100 no to hiring all crew. THIS ENDS NOW.

____
End Email
____

"He' Responded!  Goddaa--"

Thomas Sterns the Third bursts from his room wearing a stripped blue and white button up polo shirt, tucked into blue kahaki's with brown sandal, he is sweaty already and seems desperate for a Reason to not have to be responsible for his puppy, that he kicks back into his room behind the door he closes behind himself on exit.

"Fuck this, if he insults me with shit payment again I'm walking!"

Keys jingling for two cars... Thomas Stern The Third currently has two cars because he wanted his new one before his lease expired, because why buy a house without first getting a puppy, and a new SUV. I digress...

I wondered and asked where he was going so briskly.

"My new Church in Sylvestor! Gotta think!"
(Sylvestor is the new town Thomas is moving to, in a new condo he just financed, that's about 15 minutes away from the Valley, with no traffic, on sundays, at 5am.)

No comments: